Tetra Pak®, the world leader in food processing and packaging solutions, released its Sustainability Update 2014. The report highlights the company’s 2013 achievements in the areas of environmental performance, social responsibility and good governance.
Examples of the company’s progress in 2013 included:
- Tetra Pak is a founding member of the Carton Council, whose work helped raise the household access rate for carton recycling in the U.S. from 41.5 percent to 48 percent during 2013. In June of 2014, carton recycling in the U.S. reached 50 percent, taking the total number of U.S. households able to recycle cartons above 58 million.
- Tetra Pak continued to lead the industry towards fully renewable packages. In 2013, 1.1 billion packages were delivered to customers worldwide featuring bio-based caps (made from plastic derived from sugar cane), nearly doubling the number sold in 2012. On average, Tetra Pak cartons were already made of 70 percent renewable resources, and bio-based caps increase the renewable content of those packages by approximately 4 percent.
- Tetra Pak’s processing and packaging innovations supported a further reduction of food waste. The introduction of Tetra Alcross® RO Lite in 2013 provided small and medium-sized cheese producers with a filtration solution that extracts value from whey, a by-product of cheese manufacturing that was previously dumped as food waste.
- Tetra Pak put considerable effort into developing robust systems and methods to reliably collect climate data. The 2013 results, which have been audited and validated by independent external consultants, showed that the company is making steady progress towards its 2020 targets – to cap climate impact across the value chain to 2010 levels, despite business growth.
- Tetra Pak and Tetra Laval Food for Development expanded joint activities on Dairy Hubs. In partnership with PRAN Dairy Ltd, two Dairy Hubs were set up in Bangladesh as collection stations with testing and cooling facilities, while at the same time serving as training centers for the local farmers. This has enabled the average daily yield per cow to rise by 80 percent and the average monthly income of 2,000 smallholder farmers to more than double from October 2010 to December 2013.
Building on progress in 2013, Tetra Pak U.S. and Canada recently launched “Moving To The Front,” a campaign centered on a new white paper that highlights issues of resource scarcity and encourages suppliers, manufacturers, brand owners, NGOs and others to expand focus from the mid and end of the packaging life cycle to the beginning. Moving to the Front highlights the need for industry practices that focus on the importance of sustainable material sourcing and renewable resources in protecting our world’s limited natural resources and how these practices can create long-term shared value for businesses and society.
“The Tetra Pak brand is founded on a promise: PROTECT WHAT’S GOOD. At its core, that’s about protecting food … which has long lain at the very heart of our business agenda. But it goes further. It is also about protecting people: our employees, the communities in which we operate, and society as a whole. And it is about protecting futures; by developing the products and services that will support the future business growth of our customers, and by acting and operating in ways that best protect the future of our planet,” said Dennis Jonsson, president and CEO, Tetra Pak Group. “Tetra Pak produces the Sustainability Update on an annual basis to explain how we are delivering on that promise.”
The full Tetra Pak Sustainability Update 2014 can be found on our corporate website.
ABOUT TETRA PAK
Tetra Pak is the world’s leading food processing and packaging solutions company. Working closely with our customers and suppliers, we provide safe, innovative and environmentally sound products that each day meet the needs of hundreds of millions of people in more than 170 countries around the world. With more than 23,000 employees based in over 80 countries, we believe in responsible industry leadership and a sustainable approach to business. Our motto, “PROTECTS WHAT’S GOOD™,” reflects our vision to make food safe and available, everywhere.
More information about Tetra Pak is available at www.tetrapak.com